HINXTON WATERMILL AND MILLERS' COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1128084

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1977

Statutory Address: HINXTON WATERMILL AND MILLERS' COTTAGE, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HINXTON WATERMILL AND MILLERS' COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128084 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 21:59:40.

Location

Statutory Address: HINXTON WATERMILL AND MILLERS' COTTAGE, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hinxton

National Grid Reference: TL 49313 45249

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4845 HINXTON MILL LANE 20/186 24.11.77 Hinxton Watermill and Miller's Cottage GV II Watermill and attached cottage. Cottage C17 with additions c.1766 (dated stack). Mill late C18 with C19 alterations. Timber-framed, plastered and weatherboarded; C19 gault brick. Thatched, pantiled and corrugated iron roofs. Buildings forming an L-plan. Mill to north west two storeys and attic with added Day of two storeys linking north-south cottage range of one storey and attics. North elevation: Original mill weatherboarded with brick plinth. Loft door and boarded entrance door to left hand, double door to right of centre to wheelhouse, and loft door and boarded entrance door to extreme right. Two first floor and one ground floor twelve-paned hung sash windows. Large hungy sash window with margin glazing bars in segmental brick arch. Gable of cottage cased in brick with glazed door and large first floor hung sash window. East elevation of cottage with plain tall red brick stacks, to left and right hand, two ground floor twelve-paned hung sash windows and two gabled dormer windows with casements. Interior: Original undershot mill wheel removed c.1914 and a "Little Giant" turbine, manufactured by J C Wilson & Co, Picton, Ontario (patented 1875) installed driving three mill stones; a lay shaft provides motive power to a sack hoist and water pump. Machine and corn bins shutes hoppers etc complete. The mill was last used in 1950 and is now owned by the Cambridge Cottage Preservation Society. V.C.H., Vol. VI, p226

Listing NGR: TL4931345249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52999

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 226

End of official listing