This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1128091

Location

CHAPEL OF HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, WHITTLESFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Duxford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52914

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4847 DUXFORD WHITTLESFORD ROAD 2/84 Chapel of the Hospital of St 22.11.67 John the Baptist GV II* Chapel or hospital, founded by William de Colville (d.1230); C13, rebuilt early C14, and restored by Ministry of Works 1947-54. Flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Rebuilt gable wall to west of red brick and blocking to east window with inserted C20 fixed lights. Red plain tiled roof (1985). Single storeyed, of five bays with undivided chancel and nave. North elevation: Entrance to right hand with quarter- round moulding to two-centred arched doorway (two similar doorways in south elevation). Four single trefoiled-light windows with chamfered square arches and pointed inner arches with shafted jambs and moulded caps and bases. Diagonal buttresses of two stages to east gable wall with panelled corbels and cross finial. Roofs, restored collar-rafter trusses with collar braces. The hospital was suppressed in c.1548 and for some time used as a barn. Scheduled Ancient Monument, in care of HBMCE. Sayle, C.E. The Chapel of the Hospital of St John Duxford, PCAS VOL.10 p375 V.C.H., Vol. VI, p215 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p333

Listing NGR: TL4850147275

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 333
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 215
'Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society' in Proceedings of the Cambridge Antiquarian Society, , Vol. 10, (), 375

National Grid Reference: TL 48501 47275

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 03:34:09.

End of official listing