This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND MEMORIAL STONE BESIDE NORTH WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND MEMORIAL STONE BESIDE NORTH WALL

List entry Number: 1128092

Location

UNITED REFORMED CHURCH AND MEMORIAL STONE BESIDE NORTH WALL, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fowlmere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52915

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4245 FOWLMERE CHAPEL LANE (South Side) 18/102 United Reformed Church and Memorial stone beside north wall. GV II Chapel. c.1780, apse at east end 1870, bell tower and clock 1881, restoration 1878. Timber-framed with rough cast render, C19 gault brick; C20 ridge-tiled hipped and gabled roofs. Two storey chapel with single storey school room to west and bell tower rising above two storeys to south-west corner. Chapel with square plan, polygonal apse and symmetrical west front with gabled projection flanked by lean-to open porches; gault brick quoins. Two storey central window, two gallery windows (and side elevation windows) with round headed arches and original leaded lights. Diagonal boarded doors to left and right hand with patterned iron hinges shaped to round arches. School room with pierced gable bargeboards and drop finial, round apex window and two casement windows in cambered brick arches. Bell tower with panelled brick walls, clock in north face and louvred belfry lights. Interior: Gallery on three sides with panelled front supported on cast iron columns. Organ C19 by Hen Jones, London SW. Memorial stone, limestone slab inscribed to the memory of Rev. Wm Merchand d.1810 and Mary his wife. Kellys' Directories for Cambridgeshire R.C.H.M. Report 1949 V.C.H. Vol. VI

Listing NGR: TL4214945572

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978)
'Kelly's Directory' in Cambridgeshire, (1904)

National Grid Reference: TL 42149 45572

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128092 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:21:23.

End of official listing