This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BARN AND COTTAGE TO WEST OF NUMBER 9

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN AND COTTAGE TO WEST OF NUMBER 9

List entry Number: 1128093

Location

BARN AND COTTAGE TO WEST OF NUMBER 9, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fowlmere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52919

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4245 FOWLMERE CHAPEL LANE (North Side) 18/106 Barn and Cottage to west of No. 9 (White Hall) GV II Cottage and barn altered as a school. Late C18 conversion of perhaps C17 barn with cottage added to east gable. Timber-framed, boarded at ground floor and plastered first floor; plain tiled roofs. Two storeys with cellar in left hand bay of barn. Cottage of one storey and attic. Two red brick C18 chimney stacks to right and left hand, inserted window and one original late C18 school window with glazing bars. Garage doors to right hand and boarded door. Cottage with two C20 casement windows and glazed door, one casement dormer window, stack to left hand. Interior: Barn of five timber-framed bays with double side purlin roof, converted to a school with inserted floors and later to a granary in mid C19. The school was established in c.1780 by the Wedd family who were dissenters and educators; in 1848 the property was purchased by Mr Stockbridge,a miller. V.C.H., Vol. VI, p.164

Listing NGR: TL4221045627

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 164

National Grid Reference: TL 42210 45627

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128093 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 05:29:06.

End of official listing