This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE CHEQUERS INN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CHEQUERS INN

List entry Number: 1128099

Location

THE CHEQUERS INN, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Fowlmere

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52938

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4245 FOWLMERE HIGH STREET (North Side) 18/125 The Chequers Inn 22.11.67 GV II Inn. Late C15 or early C16 with C17 additions. Inscription below jetty 'ANO DOM 1675 WT'. Timber-framed and plastered with tarred brick plinth, C20 plain tiled roofs. Rectangular planned painted brick stack to left hand; red brick ridge stack to right hand. Two storeys and cellar main range includes three bays of an original jettied building; one storey and attic range to east, formerly the C17 kitchen. Three gable extensions to north. Main entrance approached by three steps with four-panelled C19 door and moulded wooden architrave. Large three-light transomed window to right hand and canted hung sash bay window to left hand; one first floor twelve-paned hung sash window, and two horizontal sliding sash windows above the jetty. Jetty fascia moulded with three jetty brackets. Lower range to east with three small windows. Interior: painted clunch arcade of ten trefoiled arches above fireplace; ogee-moulded ceiling beams. Samuel Pepys stayed at the inn in 1660. V.C.H., Vol. VI, p.156 R.C.H.M. Report 1950

Listing NGR: TL4211145881

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 156

National Grid Reference: TL 42111 45881

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128099 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 04:29:37.

End of official listing