This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DUXFORD MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DUXFORD MILL

List entry Number: 1128122

Location

DUXFORD MILL, MILL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Duxford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52892

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4846 DUXFORD MILL LANE: (East Side) 16/62 Duxford Mill GV II Mill and mill house. C18 with early C19 rebuilding and later C19 modifications. Restored and converted to domestic use c.1946. Architect, H.C. Hughes. Red C18 brick, C19 reused--stock brick, painted brick, timber-framed and weatherboarded. Plain tiled mansard roofs and gable end stacks. Long range, mill to south-east of two storeys and two storey attic with single storey wheel house, and mill house of two storeys with attic. North-east elevation: Main entrance to mill house blocked and first and attic floors rebuilt; two entrances to left hand with glazed doors. Four ground floor sixteen-paned hung sash windows in segmental brick arches and eight first floor windows including three hung sash windows and four metal framed casement windows. One fixed-light six-paned window replaces original sack hoist opening and two dormer windows with casements. Carved brick 'R.C. ESQ' near quoin to north-east of mill house. Interior: Internal frame of mill of elm with some timber identification marks. Some surviving features; of mill in attic floors; cast iron mill wheel with diameter of 18 feet and fitted in 1888 with four grinding stones removed c.1946. The mill site recorded in the Doomesday survey, was owned by the de Colville family with Temple Manor in 1200, in 1230 the estate given to the Knight's Templars. Charles Kingsley, a

Listing NGR: TL4827746320

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 48277 46320

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:20:26.

End of official listing