BAPTIST CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1128151

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, STOCKS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 21:22:42.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHAPEL, STOCKS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Gamlingay

National Grid Reference: TL 23808 51922

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GAMLINGAY STOCKS LANE TL 25SW (West side) 3/92

22.11.67 Baptist Chapel

GV II

Non conformist chapel. Founded late C17-early C18 rebuilt 1840, extended 1858 and restored 1881. Red brick and hipped, slate roof with moulded wood eaves cornice. Two stage east front, mainly C18, except for porch. Two hung sashes with glazing bars in semi-circular headed arches. The sills of the windows cut into the plat band and suggest that the windows may have been enlarged. Two horizontal, six pane hung sashes at ground stage. Modern two stage porch with stone inscribed "Church formed 1670". North side in three window bays. Sixteen pane hung sashes with early glass. At the west end pair of vestries with lecture room over. 1858. Interior C19 gallery, seating and pulpit with double staircase. Founded under auspices of John Bunyan.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (2) CF Steel: Non conformist Chapels and Meeting-houses (RCHM) VCH: Cambs vol 5 p85 Pevsner: Buildings of England p391.

Listing NGR: TL2380851922

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52755

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 391
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 85
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing