This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

List entry Number: 1128154

Location

CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hatley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52760

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HATLEY HATLEY ST GEORGE TL 25SE (South side) 4/97 Church of St George 22.11.67

II*

Parish church. C14, C15 and c.1873-8. Fieldstone and rubble, with clunch dressings and tiled roof. Bell tower aisleless nave, and chancel with north and south adjuncts. West tower, C15 with bell stage repaired in brick in 1625. Embattled parapet with large centre gargoyle to the cornice. Three stage diagonal buttressing. West window of two cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in a four centred head. Bell-stage openings blocked with the blocking in north opening dated 1625. South wall of nave has two, three-light window with vertical tracery in four centred arch. The south doorway has continuously moulded jambs. The north wall has two similar windows and a two centred arch to a doorway of continuously moulded orders in a square head. The chancel is c.1873-8. Inside: C14 piscina in nave with moulded jambs and cinquefoil head. Wall monuments on north wall of nave to members of Quintin family, early C19, Thomas Quintin, 1806, white marble sarcophagus signed E Gaffin, Regent Street, London.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (2)

Listing NGR: TL2773351126

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

National Grid Reference: TL 27733 51126

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128154 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:02:11.

End of official listing