This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1128165

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Longstowe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52793

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONGSTOWE SCHOOL LANE TL 35NW (North side) 2/130 Church of St Mary 22.11.67 II*

Parish church. C14-C15 west tower, 1864-65 rebuild of nave, chancel, south porch and vestry under the supervision of W M Fawcett. Carstone, limestone rubble and fieldstone with some limestone and clunch dressings. Plain tiled roofs with crested ridge tiles. West tower of three stages, embattled parapets on plinth with four stage diagonal buttressing. Restored fenestration includes west window of three cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. Bell stage has two cinquefoil openings of clunch in four centred arch. The nave, of fieldstone with Ketton limestone dressings, has two light windows with quatrefoils in two centred arches. The south porch, gabled, has a two centred outer arch, moulded with two engaged shafts with stiff-leaf foliage to the capitals to each respond. The chancel has three lancet windows to the south wall and three graduated lancets to the east window. Interior: Two centred tower arch of two orders. Wave moulded outer order and ogee moulded inner order on engaged shafts with moulded capital and base. Patterned brickwork to nave and chancel. Crown post roof in three bays to nave. 1863-4 north chapel has reset wall monument of Sir Ralph Bovey 1679, white marble semi domed niche with flanking enriched scrolls on a gadrooned shelf with winged cherubs and cartouche. In the recess half effigy of deceased rising from the sea and reaching for anchor of wood proffered by a hand from the clouds; Antony Cage 1603 and Dorothy, his wife, clunch and alabaster with recumbent effigies and miniatures of ten children in relief to the base.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (1) Pevsner: Buildings of England p433

Listing NGR: TL3106355430

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 433
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

National Grid Reference: TL 31063 55430

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128165 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 09:51:46.

End of official listing