Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1128196

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 20:47:04.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Arrington

National Grid Reference: TL 32516 50303


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ARRINGTON CHURCH LANE TL 3250 (North side) 15/3 Church of 22.11.67 St Nicholas


Parish church. C13 chancel and nave, and slightly later C13 west tower. Nave aisles removed later medieval period; C16-C17 bell stage to tower and repaired blocking of nave arcade. Restored 1894 and c.1985. Coursed clunch, fieldstone and clunch and some limestone dressings. Plan of west tower, nave and chancel, south porch and north vestry. West tower of three stages with timber spire, leaded embattled parapet. Ground and first stages C13, with two stage angle buttressing. West window of two lights restored in two centred arch with Y-tracery. Bell stage restored C18. Red brick with clunch quoins and two light openings in segmental arches of brick. On the east wall and returned to north wall is the gable of the original medieval nave roof. South wall has the nave arcade of three bays. Two centred arches of a single chamfered order visible on the interior, on octagonal columns with moulded capitals. The columns have been much altered and the bays have been blocked with C16-C17 red brick. One c.1400 window, reset, of two trefoil light with reticulated tracery to one bay. The chancel wall is now continuous with the outer wall of the nave. Coursed clunch with some limestone to footings. Two c.13 windows of two lights with Y-tracery to the north and south walls. The east wall has a window of three lights in two centred arch with intersecting tracery. Single stage c.13 buttressing to east end of chancel. Interior: the tie beams of the roof are later replacements. The c.13 tower arch is two centred and has two chamfered orders. C13 double piscina in south wall of chancel. Moulded round arch rising from responds consisting of attached shafts with moulded caps and bases. The arch is intersected by two uniform half arches springing from a central shaft, now removed. Two octofoil drains. The whole is within a moulded frame. Font, c.13. Limestone. Tapering bowl with roll moulded lower edge, round stem and plinths with chamfered upper edge.

RCHM: West Cambs mon (1) Pevsner: Buildings of England p293

Listing NGR: TL3251650303


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52667

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 293
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing