PARISH CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128238

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 04:53:51.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Litlington

National Grid Reference: TL 30984 42747

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3042 LITLINGTON CHURCH STREET 23/153 (South Side) 22.11.67 Patish church of St Catherine

GV II*

Parish church. C12 chancel with north and south walls remaining. Early C13 tower and chapel added to north of nave with double arcaded entrance. Early C14 north and south aisles. Third stage to tower and clerestorey to chancel and windows to south aisle c.1500. North nave chapel demolished at some time and vestry built on site by Dr W Webb, vicar, c.1840. Repairs c.1807 and complete restoration in 1870 by Vialls of London. Tower and walls repaired c.1950. Walls of flint rubble with clunch and limestone dressings. Lead covered roofs. South elevation: Tower of three stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet, ground storey lancet window and belfry window of two cinquefoil lights in a two-centre arch. Plain parapet to nave with four two cinquefoil light windows and one eastern single light window. South porch largely rebuilt with two-centred arch, south doorway with two-centred arch of two wave-moulded orders. Four restored windows of three cinquefoil lights in four-centred arches. Chancel clerestorey with three single light windows; one original lancet, one C14 window with two trefoiled-lights and one late C13 trefoiled light window with one large c.1500 window of three cinque-foiled lights. Priests's door restored with chamfered four-centred arched head. Interior: Nave arcades of five bays, two bays of north arcade c.1300 with two-centred arches and with two hollow chamfered orders, moulded label to nave terminates with head stops, (on second pier a woman with triangular head dress). The three arches to the west and the arcade of the south aisle are early C14 with two-centred arches of two main orders with carved head stops to nave label, and quatrefoil piers with moulded caps and bases. Tower arch, two-centred of two chamfered orders with labels towards the nave and chamfered square responds and semi octagonal tapering responds. Roof of chancel, six bays with moulded tie beams; late C15 or C16 bosses fixed to intersections of modern nave timbers; aisle roofs of five bays. Font, C15 with square bowl and moulded sides with carved angels at each corner supported on octagonal stem. Three inscriptions on windows and pier refer to Francis Drake (RCHM). C14 piscenae and small cupboard in chancel, and in south aisle. Pulpit and screen, C15. Monuments: Wall tablet in north aisle to six members of North family 1790-1828 and oval tablet to Thos Dickason d.1824. In tower, marble cartouche to Roger Stoughton A.D. MDCXC.

RCHM Report 1950 VCH Vol VIII p.65 Ireland, M. DeC. History of Abington Piggotts with Litlington

Listing NGR: TL3098442747

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52559

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ireland, M , History of Abington Pigotts with Litlington
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 65

End of official listing