This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STABLE RANGE AND OFFICE NORTH WEST OF STABLE YARD TO ODSEY GRANGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLE RANGE AND OFFICE NORTH WEST OF STABLE YARD TO ODSEY GRANGE

List entry Number: 1128268

Location

STABLE RANGE AND OFFICE NORTH WEST OF STABLE YARD TO ODSEY GRANGE, ICKNIELD WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Guilden Morden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Sep-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52538

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 23 NE GUILDEN MORDEN ICKNIELD WAY (North-west side)

7/133 Stable range and office to north-west of stable yard to Odsey Grange

GV II

Stable range and offices, formerly stables with first floor accommodation. Circa 1705, altered in C19 and C20. Local red brick; plain tiled hipped roof with saw tooth brick eaves cornice and three rebuilt ridge stacks. Two storeys, long south-west, north-east range bounding one side of the original stable yard. Blocked segmental headed archway to left hand with inserted six-panelled door; two archways partly reconstructed with double boarded doors; seven ground floor C20 casement windows and one early C18 casement window with leaded lights and wooden lintel. Seven first floor twenty-paned hung sash windows with near flush-frames. Interior: the first floor accommodation was possibly intended for jockeys and grooms; ground floor fittings C19 with C20 garage. C20 office conversion to right hand. The stables were part of the racing establishment owned by the Second and Third Dukes of Devonshire, the jockey house now Odsey Grange and stables were possibly those 'newly erected for race-horses' by Thos. Fountaine and John Duckett of Lincoln's Inn before 1705 and the sale of the property to Robert Chester.

RCHM Report 1950 Fordham, G: The Hundred and Manor of Odsey VCH Vol VIII p97

Listing NGR: TL2948438035

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Fordham, G , Notes on the Hundred and Manor or Grange of Odsey
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 97

National Grid Reference: TL 29484 38035

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:30:33.

End of official listing