This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1128305



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Abington Pigotts

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52423

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 3044 ABINGTON PIGOTTS HIGH STREET Norh-west side 14/20 22.11.67 Darby and Joan PH


Public House. Early to mid C18 incorporating an early building. Timber-framed and rendered, chequered red brick. Plain tiled roofs. Two storeys and attic. Double pile plan with earlier range incorporated to rear. Chequered brick gable and stack with-corbelled parapet gables and end stacks. Plastered main facade with brick plinth, moulded wooden eaves cornice with dentil enrichment. Entrance approached by stone steps. C18 pedimented doorcase with six-raised and fielded panelled door. Two ground floor and three first floor twelve-paned flush-framed hung sash windows. Three hipped casement dormer windows. Interior: 0riginal closed string staircase with turned balusters and newels. The rear wing is said to be the surviving part of the Pigott Cower house; the Derby and Joan PH was recorded in 1835.

VCH Vol VIII p4. RCHM report 1950

Listing NGR: TL3068644438

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 4

National Grid Reference: TL 30686 44438


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128305 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:24:32.

End of official listing