DOCWRAS MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128332

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: DOCWRAS MANOR, 2, MELDRETH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOCWRAS MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128332 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 12:09:53.

Location

Statutory Address: DOCWRAS MANOR, 2, MELDRETH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Shepreth

National Grid Reference: TL 39246 47967

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEPRETH MELDRETH ROAD TL 3947 (North west side) 21/335 No. 2 (Docwra's Manor)(formerly 22.11.67 listed as Docwraies Manor with boundary walls and entrance gates) GV II*

Manor house. Three train building periods. The kitchen wing is C16, the two parallel front ranges are of two dates, the front is late C17 and the rear addition is early C18. The front was remodelled in c.1743. Timber framed, rendered, except for the facade which is of patterned red and burnt brickwork. Parapetted, tiled roofs with wood modillion eaves cornice. Large red brick stack between front and rear ranges. Each of the two front ranges has an external red brick stack at the east end with offsets and tumbled brickwork. The house now forms an L-plan. Two storeys and attic. Five window range of original flush frame, twelve pane hung sashes with ovolo moulded glazing bars in segmental arches. The centre bay is composed of a Palladian window at first floor with ornamental fret pattern to the semi-circular head and a modillion cornice and below the doorway with rusticated surround and doorcase of Roman Doric half columns and entablature, with enriched modillion cornice. Inside: The C16 kitchen range is in three bays. The framing is exposed in part. The timbers are of substantial scantling with arch braced tie beams, and unmoulded floor joists laid flat. There are Queen struts to the roof trusses. The framing in this part of the house is similar to that of the stables and outbuilding (q.v.), near the road. The range to the road is also timber framed, but the framing is not exposed. The plan of three rooms would suggest a late C17 date. One ground floor room has mid C18 raised and fielded panelling in two heights. The late C17 flat section balustrade from the staircase has been reset in the back staircase. The present principal staircase dates from the c.1743 remodelling of the facade. It is closed string and has a baluster of column-on- vase type. The range parallel and adjoining this front range is probably slightly later, mid C18. The framing is not visible. At first floor it has one hung sash with arched top panes. The roofs of both ranges have similar purlins of slender scantling. Docwra's Manor was acquired in 1743 by Joseph Woodham. An estate map of 1764 shows the plan of the house much as it is now.

V.C.H. Cambs. Vol. V p.255. Pevsner: Burlings of England p.455 C.R.O.: 1764 Estate Map R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1949)

Listing NGR: TL3924647967

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52389

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 455
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 255

End of official listing