HOUGHTON MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128403

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: HOUGHTON MILL, MILL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOUGHTON MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128403 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 20:31:03.

Location

Statutory Address: HOUGHTON MILL, MILL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Houghton and Wyton

National Grid Reference: TL2816071975

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOUGHTON AND WYTON 1. 5140 TL 2871 14/1 24.10.51 MILL STREET (south side) Houghton Houghton Mill II* GV 2. C17 water mill, rebuilt and extended in C18 and C19. Three-storeys and attics. Gault brick, red brick and two inch brick. Part timber-framed and weather-boarded with plain tile roof and gabled gantries. Pivot hung windows with glazing bars. Modern external wooden fire staircase with two landing stages. Open, through passage to right of centre with foot bridges on either side of mill spanning two weirs. Three original, breast- driven wheels removed in 1931 and replaced by modern sluices. Interior: Three pairs of grinding stones still in situ on grinding floor with other mill machinery intact; storage bins and shoots at first and second-floor levels. Original staircase, floors and trap-doors. Mills have been recorded on this site since 974. The present mill replaces one burnt down in C17. It ceased to work in 1930 and became a Youth Hostel in 1934. In 1939 it was given to the National Trust. It is now the only surviving watermill on the River Ouse in the old county of Huntingdonshire. It is noted for its picturesque setting and is frequented by landscape artists. (Ref P.G.M. Dickinson, 1973) (RCHM Huntingdonshire Mon 6 p 144).

Listing NGR: TL2816071975

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54103

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 144
Dickinson, P G M, Houghton and Wyton, (1973)

End of official listing