MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128510

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Nov-1982

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, CAMBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 03:16:39.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE, CAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Fenstanton

National Grid Reference: TL 31074 68760

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FENSTANTON CAMBRIDGE ROAD 1. 5140 (north side) Manor House (formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse under Hemingford Grey Road) TL 31 68 19/6 24.10.51 II* GV 2. Early to mid C18 farmhouse, part of the Manor of Fenstanton owned by 'Capability' Brown in the late C18. L-plan. Two-storeys with attics. Steeply pitched hipped, slated roof, two symmetrical ridge stacks and gable stack to rear wing with parapet gable. Projecting modillioned eaves cornice. Three flat-roofed dormers, with horizontal sliding sashes and glazing bars. Three bays; central bay slightly projecting, of soft red brick. Ashlar pilasters at quoins, band between floors, and cappings to plinth. Symmetrical range of seven first-floor recessed hung sash windows with glazing bars in flat gauged brick arches with key blocks. Similar windows flank central doorway with original eight raised and fielded panelled door. C19 reeded doorcase with corner bosses and projecting cornice. Interior has fine original open-string staircase. Fire plaque. Sun Insurance 551360 purchase by L Brown. (Sources: VCH, RCHM p 93. Inskip Ladds Records, Norris Museum, St Ives, N Pevsner p 245).

Listing NGR: TL3107468760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 53855

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 93
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 245
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1948)

End of official listing