THE MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128512

Date first listed: 30-May-1958

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, 46, CHEQUER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128512 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 21:27:42.

Location

Statutory Address: THE MANOR HOUSE, 46, CHEQUER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Fenstanton

National Grid Reference: TL 31775 68759

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FENSTANTON CHEQUER STREET 1. 5140 (north side) No 46 (The Manor House) TL 31 68 19/12 30.5.58 II* 2. The home of Lancelot (Capability) Brown, Lord of the Manor of Fenstanton. Late C17 manor house. Two-storeys, L-plan with outshut in angle between the two ranges. Rendered local red brick walls to eaves height. Plain tile roofs, shaped parapet gables with kneelers end end stacks. Rusticated quoins. Central projecting two- storey porch with hipped plain tile roof. Band between floors. Four-window range of hung sashes with glazing bars in flat-headed arches at first-floor. Two large C19 sash windows at ground-floor. Segmental headed arch to sash window with glazing bars above door in porch. Fine, original double-plank door enriched with carved and shaped battens. Strap hinges with incised geometric decoration and fleur-de-lys finials. Interior has original plan of parlour, hall, and cross passage, and rear kitchen with staircase, altered by C18 partitions, chimney pieces and doors. The two flights of original closed string staircase have carved newels and string and some flat, shaped, balusters. Chamfered and stopped ceiling beams to hall and first- floor rooms. Restored kitchen hearth with recently inserted bog oak mantel beam. Fire plaque above door. (Sources: VCH, Inskip Ladds Records, Norris Museum, St Ives. RCHM Huntingdonshire mon 9 p 93).

Listing NGR: TL3177568759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 53860

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 93
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1948)

End of official listing