This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1128531

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CAUSEWAY ROAD
PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, SCHOOL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Broughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 53803

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROUGHTON SCHOOL ROAD 1. 5140 (north side) Parish Church of All Saints TL 27 NE 3/5 30.5.58 II* 2. Parish Church. Base of chancel arch C12, chancel, north and south aisles, and nave rebuilt circa 1300. West tower and spire originally date from early C14 but were rebuilt in late C15 or early C16 when clerestory added. South porch circa 1340. Chancel and tower walls of rubble, aisles of pebble rubble, walls of nave rendered with Barnack stone dressings and ashlar spire. Roofs of lead and plain tiles. Tower of three stages with angle buttresses and moulded plinth, windows C16 in four-centred arches. Broach spire with two tiers of four spire lights of two and one trefoiled lights with gable tracery. Low pitch nave roof. Three, three-light clerestory windows in four-centred arches, and similar arches to three, three-light aisle windows. South porch with hipped roof, and two side windows with trefoiled ogee lights in square heads, has two-centred arch with moulded label and stops. Late C18 doors in circa 1300 south doorway with richly moulded two-centred arch with shafted jambs with moulded caps. Roof of chancel steeply pitched. Windows in south wall, C13 and C14 with single light 'low-side' window and C13 doorway. Interior: East window of chancel modern. C13 double piscina with trefoiled heads. Chancel arch circa 1300 with attached shafts and moulded bases resting on wall of original C12 church with some chamfered impost on north side. North and south arcades of four bays circa 1300 with two centred arches with moulded labels and head stops. Piers with octagonal columns, moulded capitals and bases. Nave roof largely modern with carved figures of angels circa 1500 on soffits of intermediate tie beams. Two original wall posts have carved figures of the Apostles. Wall paintings; Doom painting over chancel arch, expulsion of Adam and Eve on south nave wall, and other fragments. Pews possibly C16, communion table in south aisle C18, C18 altar rails with turned balusters. Font, large and square with blind arcading circa 1200. In south aisle window small piece of early C16 glass. Road screen donated by Rev Pinhey 1900-21, carved by George Allpress local village carpenter and builder with figures from Oberammersau. Pulpit designed by Rev George Johnston 1890 and carved by 'men of the village'. Parish library in belfry room. Books, sold recently to Cambridge University, were collected and donated to the parish by Rev Torkington (d.1737) and Rev R Hodson (rector 1717-1774). A case given by the university now contains items of local interest from the collection. (RCHM HJntingionshire p 28) (Inskip Ladds records, Norris Museum, St Ives).

Listing NGR: TL2806377907

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 28

National Grid Reference: TL 28063 77907

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128531 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:04:23.

End of official listing