PARISH CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1128535

Date first listed: 30-May-1958

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST HELEN, DRURY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128535 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 10:52:33.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST HELEN, DRURY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Colne

National Grid Reference: TL 37207 76037

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLNE DRURY LANE 1. 5140 (north side) Parish Church of St Helen TL 37 NE 5/15 30.5.58 II 2. Parish Church. Completed in 1900 replacing the original parish church that fell down in 1896. Architect, Fawcett of Cambridge. The building incorporates some features of the earlier building and some re-used ashlar. The tower built in the angle of the nave and south aisle is of three stages with angle buttresses of two stages, a moulded plinth band and embattled parapet with crocketed pinacles at each corner. The small lead covered spire terminates with an iron finial. Belfry window of two cinquefoil lights with label and stops. Two centred arched main entry in west face of tower. Red, ridged-pantile roof to nave, chancel and south aisle. South aisle of three bays with single stage buttresses, and three two trefoiled light C14 windows, partly restored. Early C14 window of two pointed lights, in two- centred head in chancel wall. Interior: Nave with C14 arcade of three bays, two centred arches of two chamfered orders, and octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Modern crown-post roof. Early C14 piscinae in chancel and south aisle. C14 font with plain octagonal bowl. (RCHM Huntingdonshire p 58. N Pevsner p 231).

Listing NGR: TL3720776037

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 53816

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 58
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 231

End of official listing