This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SUMMERHOUSE ABOUT 120 METRES SOUTH WEST OF HINCHINGBROOKE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SUMMERHOUSE ABOUT 120 METRES SOUTH WEST OF HINCHINGBROOKE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1128547

Location

SUMMERHOUSE ABOUT 120 METRES SOUTH WEST OF HINCHINGBROOKE HOUSE, BRAMPTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Huntingdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 53749

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:-

HUNTINGDON BRAMPTON ROAD TL 27 SW Summerhouse about 5/10000 120 metres south west of Hinchingbrooke House GV II

Summerhouse or children's playhouse. Circa mid C19. Gault brick with red brick dressings. Fishscale tile roof with crested ridge tiles and ornate pierced bargeboards to gable ends with spike finials. Plan: Small single cell rectangular plan building with entrance and porch on NW end, stack on opposite SE end and bay window on SW side. Exterior: Single storey. NW gable end has central doorway with plank door with cover moulds and open wooden porch with ornate pierced bargeboards, pendant and finial to gable, flanked by small 1-light casements formerly with diamond panes. SW side has canted bay window at centre with coved eaves cornice and hipped roof, on top of which is small gable with pierced bargeboards and finial; in the gable a coronet and initials MS, said to refer to Mary Montague, daughter of the Earl of Sandwich. On SE gable end a large brick stack with set offs. The rear NE wall is blind. Interior: Boarded ceiling with pierced arch braces. Note: Said to have possibly been built in memory of Mary Montague (1812-1839) dauqhter of Earl of Sandwich.



Listing NGR: TL2262271421

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 22622 71421

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128547 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 12:12:06.

End of official listing