THE PRIORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1128787

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Dec-1984

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, 17, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE PRIORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128787 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:01:22.

Location

Statutory Address: THE PRIORY, 17, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Thornbury

National Grid Reference: ST 63589 90316

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THORNBURY CASTLE STREET 4/16 ST 6390 (west side) 21.9.52 No 17 (The Priory) (formerly listed as The Priory) GV II*

C15 origin, altered in C16 and C17 (north wing added). Formerly one long property with adjoining No 15. Rendered. Pantile roof. Two storeys. Two windows: to left 2 storey bay with 1-4-1 light moulded mullion casement windows, elaborately moulded sills and cornice; to right 4-light mullioned and transomed window and bay on ground floor with moulded sill. Central 6-panel door under porch. Plank door to left. Two storey rear wing. Interior: Ground floor: Hall, chamfered stone fireplace with square head. Stop-chamfered beams. Parlour: panelling of small square and rectangular panels. Dog-leg stair with turned balusters. First Floor: Great Chamber (above Hall known as Chapel room), arch-braced collar beam roof with 2 rows of curved windbraces. Chamfered stone fireplace with shouldered head and moulded mantel-shelf. The fireplace cuts a fragment of wall-painting to the right. The design consists of a Maltese cross within a circle, and a coiled snake. Further to right is a spice cupboard with scratch mouldings on the door. Reputed to have been an ecclesiastical building. Sources: L Hall (1982). Report in NMR.

Listing NGR: ST6358990316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34916

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hall, L, 'City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery Monograph Number 6' in The Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720, (1983)

End of official listing