This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FRENCHAY MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FRENCHAY MANOR

List entry Number: 1128838

Location

FRENCHAY MANOR, BECKSPOOL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Winterbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 35059

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 61 NW WINTERBOURNE BECKSPOOL ROAD (west side), Frenchay 3/3 17.9.52 Frenchay Manor G.V. II* House, now childrens' home. 1736. Perhaps by John Strahan. Ashlar, plain clay tile roof. Single room depth. Central block of 3 storeys, 7 windows, central 3 break forward, single storey wings in form of canted bays, all windows are glazing bar sashes except the second floor where they become 9-pane; ground floor, including wings, has V-cut rustication brought to keystones over segmental headed windows in main block, central door under a segmental pediment on Ionic columns, windows in bays have moulded architraves with keystones, above a string course the bays have a tall plain parapet with cornice; the main block has rusticated end pilasters, windows have architraves, above aprons and below segmental pediments on first floor, except central window which has a triangular pediment; the central 3 windows which break forward are between giant Corinthian pilasters, a modillion cornice is topped by a pediment, to either side a balustrade which is swept up at the ends to meet a plain incised newel. Interior: some panelling and one Regency fire surround remain, the staircase, elliptical at the rear, is lit by a large arched sash, turned balusters, moulded handrail; divided from entrance hall by very large flat arch with panelled soffit and keystone. Rear elevation: altered and extended; central stairwell breaks forward elliptically under balustrade, large arched window over door in moulded architrave with pedimented porch on decorated corbels. In front are 7 steps with incised panels in plain walls. To right is a wrought iron Regency balcony. (Source: Gomme, Jenner and Little : "Bristol : an architectural history" 1979).

Listing NGR: ST6412478108

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979)

National Grid Reference: ST 64124 78108

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128838 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 01:44:25.

End of official listing