This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1128894

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, DOWN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: South Gloucestershire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Winterbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 35094

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 67 NE WINTERBOURNE DOWN ROAD, Winterbourne Down'

4/37 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS G.V. II

Anglican Parish Church. 1858. G.E. Street. Rubble brought to courses, freestone dressings and quoins, double roman tile roofs, raised coped verges, lead clad fleches. Nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry and organ chamber, south porch. In an Early English style. 3 bay gabled nave, 2- and 3-light windows with plate tracery to south, 4 lancet west window, broach flecht for bell now at west; gabled south porch with weathered coping and cusped moulded arch; lower 2 bay gabled chancel with 2 light windows, 3 lancet east window; gabled 2 storey vestry and organ chamber, 3 lancets to east, priests door and 4-light transmullioned window to north, pyramidal fleche, clock at east gable; 3 bay north aisle under lean-to with lancets except at east where a 4-light taller window rises into 2 gables as a vestigial transept. Interior: arch braced collar beam roof, chancel arch moulded from imposts up; 3-bay north aisle has 2 full cylindrical columns with floreate capitals, pointed arches and blank responds; in the chancel, the rear arch on a shaft of a south window is also a double sedilia, east window has double shafts in front of 3 very widely spaced lancets. South window by J.F. Bentley, 1876. (Source: D. Verey: "Buildings of England : Gloucestershire : The Vale and The Forest of Dean" 1970).

Listing NGR: ST6507879686

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 2 The Vale and The Forest of Dean, (1970)

National Grid Reference: ST 65078 79686

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128894 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 01:44:48.

End of official listing