ROCK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1128896

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: ROCK HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROCK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128896 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 10:55:11.

Location

Statutory Address: ROCK HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Aust

National Grid Reference: ST 60104 88748

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 68 NW AUST ELBERTON

8/98 Rock House 21.10.52 G.V. II

House. C16, with C17 and later alterations and additions. Rubble, coursed at front, random elsewhere, plain tiled roof with weathered external gable stacks, hexagonal ashlar chimneys with coping and decorative frieze. Former open hall with 2 cross wings forming U-plan. 2½ storeys, 3 gables to front, 1:1:1 windows, all 3 and 4-light casements with chamfered lintels and mullions, relieving arches over, door to right of centre has freestone surround with 4-centred arch, scroll and hollow moulding with straight-cut stops, heavy studded door with strap hinges, C20 porch, inner gable to each side wing with 3-light window at 1st floor; west side has 2 gables with 3-light window at ground and 1st floor to left, as on front, east side has single gable, with 2-light and single light window at 1st floor, C20 window to ground floor, all under timber lintels. Rear has 3 gables, 1:2:2 windows, all 2 and 3-light casements as on front but without relieving arch outer gables have single light window with chamfered lintel, former door to cellar to right, now blocked, cellar window with chamfered lintel, single storey C20 extension with door. Interior: window mullions ovolo-moulded on inside with elaborate catches each decorated with 3 spirals, hall fireplace has wooden bolection moulded surround, shortened to accommodate C20 stair; kitchen beam has deep chamfers, fireplace with C18 stone surround brought from house in Bristol; back door to hall in ovolo moulded wooden frame with flat, scroll and notch stops; panelled doors. (Sources: Hall, Linda : Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720. 1983).

Listing NGR: ST6010488748

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 35200

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hall, L, 'City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery Monograph Number 6' in The Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720, (1983)

End of official listing