DOWN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1128931
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
DOWN HOUSE, FOXHOLE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOWN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1128931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-May-2019 at 15:58:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
DOWN HOUSE, FOXHOLE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Olveston
National Grid Reference:
ST 61118 87353

Details

ST 68 NW OLVESTON FOXHOLE LANE (west side)

8/180 Down House 21.10.52 - II

House, formerly workhouse. Early C19 with later alterations. Stucco, pitched slate roof, hipped over side pavilions, projecting eaves. Classical style. 2 storeys, 2 bays broken forward at each side, 1:3:1 windows, central block has sashes in flat reveals, central double doors with margin glazing and decorative fanlight, parapet, side blocks have 16-pane sashes at ground and 1st floors, all in flat reveals; east elevation has 2 windows, all sashes, west elevation has 3 windows, all sashes, 2 at ground floor and French window, lower 2 storey rear wing of 4 windows, all 2-light casements at 1st floor, small 2-light casement to north, ground floor has two4-light casements and C20 window. Rear has irregular windows, all C19, including tall round-headed window with radial glazing bars lighting stair, rear wing has 2 doors and one 2-light casement at 1st floor. Interior: wide hall, reeded beams on brackets dividing ceiling into 3 bays, cornice, reeded marble fireplace, vaulted passage at 1st floor. Used as workhouse about 1814-30, until workhouse opened in Thornbury.

Listing NGR: ST6111887353

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
35289
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].