This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE WIDDICOMBE ARMS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE WIDDICOMBE ARMS

List entry Number: 1129051

Location

THE WIDDICOMBE ARMS, CLEVEDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wraxall and Failand

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Apr-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Mar-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33580

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 47 SE WRAXALL CLEVEDON ROAD (south-west side)

3/184 The Widdicombe Arms (formerly listed as The Battleaxes Inn 27.4.73

G.V II

Village temperance inn, estate club house and caretaker's house, now a public house with integral restaurant and accommodation. Designed 1880-1881, dated 1882, by William Butterfield for Anthony Gibbs of Tyntesfield. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings and irregular quoins; mock timber framing to some of the first floor; plain tiled roofs; ashlar and rubble stacks. An irregular and asymmetrical group with the inn at the south-east and the former club hall and former caretaker's house to the north-west. The inn is 2 storeys with a central section of 2 coped gables with finials; the left gable has a chequer-board pattern; single light casement and cross windows on ground floor; 2- and 5-lights on first floor. The right window has a plain architrave and is surmounted by a flat gable with pinnacles; downpipe with a decorative Gothic style hopper and the letter G (Gibbs); off-centre gabled projecting porch with clasping buttresses, panelled doors in a hollow-chamfered, pointed surround under a hoodmould. To the left of the centre is a 2-bay section of irregular heights: at the right is a 2-light casement window with shouldered heads, and a timber-framed first floor; at the left is a projecting, single-storey, gabled wing with 2-light casement windows. To the right of the centre is a further irregular 2-bay section with a blocked door to the left and a C20 bow- fronted extension to the right; timber-framed first floor with a gabled dormer on corbels. The C20 extension joins the inn to the former club hall, through a porch with a hipped roof. The hall is of a single storey, 5 bays; timber-framed on a rubble base; single light casement windows; the centre projects as a 1:2:1 light canted stone bay, the windows have ashlar surrounds and shouldered heads, half pyramidal roof with a cast-iron finial. The north-west gable end is stone and has a 2-light Geometrical style window. Set back at the right is a single storey entrance wing; plank door in an ashlar surround with a cusped head and flanking buttress. Behind this - facing onto the Grove - is the former caretaker's house: 2 storeys, a flat roof concealed behind a moulded cornice, moulded string course; 2 bays, 2- and 3-light casement windows with, chamfered mullions and under relieving arches on the ground floor; central plank door in a segmental headed surround and under a triangular dripmould. The rear elevations are also quite irregular and asymmetrical with bows, bays and turrets on 3 floors. The interior of the inn is altered butthe former hall has a timbered roof (P. Thompson, William Butterfield, 1971).

Listing NGR: ST4952971531

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Thompson, P, William Butterfield Victorian Architect, (1971)

National Grid Reference: ST 49529 71531

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129051 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 08:58:23.

End of official listing