This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLAPTON COURT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLAPTON COURT

List entry Number: 1129089

Location

CLAPTON COURT, CLEVEDON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Clapton-in-Gordano

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Jan-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33670

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAPTON IN GORDANO CLEVEDON LANE ST 47 SE (south side) 4/5 Clapton Court G.V. II

The description shall be amended to read: ST 47 SE CLAPTON IN GORDANO CLEVEDON LANE 1066/4/5 Clapton Court G.V. II House, now farmhouse. C15 north elevation; altered in early/mid C19 and remainder rebuilt in later centuries, principally in C17 and early/mid C19. Sandstone rubble with limestone dressings; plain tiled roof with crestings, brick stacks and additions, some pantiles and single Roman tiles. PLAN: C15 north porch with rear right stair projects forward from north elevation; main north (front) range remodelled in C19 with deep stair hall flanked by reception/dining rooms; C17 one-room range to rear right, extended further to rear making L-plan in early/mid C19; another room added to rear of left-hand room (to left of porch) in early/mid C19. EXTERIOR: Front has 3-storey porch tower with broad moulded pointed arched entrance, hood mould, mask stops and relieving arch, small inset stone shield with cusped head above, similar inner doorway with hood mould, C19 double doors with quatrefoil glazing, benches to sides; first floor has 2-light window with cusped lights, stopped hood mould and relieving arch, smaller similar window at 2nd floor, string course with gargoyles, embattled parapet, left side of tower has similar windows, inset shield at first floor, some windows retain iron stanchions, right side has newel stair corbelled out in angle with 2 lancets; to left, ground floor 3-light window with plain round heads and hood mould, first floor has mullion and transom window with cusped ogee heads, blind below transom, 2nd floor has C19 replacement 2-light cusped window with relieving arch, weathered single buttresses to left; to right of tower, first floor has wooden 2-light cusped window and wide external stack to former hall; former gable end behind porch tower has coping, half-hipped roof of rear king behind. Left return of 2 1/2 storeys and 2 windows, ground and first floor all margin glazed sashes with sidelights, splayed limestone lintels and keystones, attic has 2 similar sashes under eaves; rear of wing has ground floor similar sash, first and 2nd floor 2 similar sashes of varied sizes, all with brick lintels; lower 2-storey rear wing set back has lean-to with 2 C20 windows and door, 2-light casement with timber lintel, raised coped verge and brick stack above, roof to left of verge pantiled, lower ground floor has 3 -light casement with timber lintel and first floor 2-light casement with segmental head; rear gable end has upper ground and first floor C20 glazed doors. Right return has varied windows, ground floor left similar sash with sidelights and overlight, C20 glazed porch and door, 2-light casement with segmental head above, two 2-light casements under eaves, straight joint to right; 3-light casement ground and first floor right, brick lean-to with door and 2-light casement, 3-light casement with timber lintel and relieving arch at lower ground floor, 3- light casement with segmental head at first floor. INTERIOR: early/mid C19 Gothick-style double doors to porch. Porch has stone newel stair to rear right and pointed-arched chamfered doorways. very thick transverse wall, probably C15, to right of porch and extending to rear. Thin C19 transverse wall, possibly replacing screen, to left of porch and extending to rear. C17 range has ogee-stopped chamfered beams (roof not seen). C19 rooms have panelled doors and shutters and moulded cornices, room to right having marble fireplace, enriched cornice and ceiling rose of c1850; stick-baluster stair; C19 roofs. Many probable features of interest are hidden by later plasterwork etc.

HISTORY: the shield to the porch shows the arms of Arthur impaling those of Berkeley - Richard Arthur (c1422-61) married Alice daughter of James Lord Berkeley. (Sources: Pevsner, N: Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. Robinson, W J: West Country Manors. 1930)

------------------------------------

CLAPTON IN GORDANO C.P. CLEVEDON LANE (south side) ST 47 SE 4/5 Clapton Court G.V. II House, now farmhouse. Retains C15 north elevation, remainder of mid C19, possibly incorporating earlier building, with later alterations. Sandstone rubble, limestone dressings, plain tiled roof with crestings, brick stacks and additions, some pantiles and single Roman tiles. Front has 3-storey porch tower with broad moulded pointed arched entrance, hood mould, mask stops and relieving arch, small inset stone shield with cusped head above, similar inner doorway with hood mould, C19 double doors with quatrefoil glazing, benches to sides; first floor has 2-light window with cusped lights, stopped hood mould and relieving arch, smaller similar window at 2nd floor, string course with gargoyles, embattled parapet, left side of tower has similar windows, inset shield at first floor, some windows retain iron stanchions, right side has newel stair corbelled out in angle with 2 lancets; to left, ground floor 3-light window with plain round heads and hood mould, first floor has mullion and transom window with cusped ogee heads, blind below transom, 2nd floor has C19 replacement 2-light cusped window with relieving arch, weathered single buttresses to left; to right of tower, first floor has wooden 2-light cusped window and wide external stack to former hall; former gable end behind porch tower has coping, half-hipped roof of rear wing behind. Left return of 2 1/2 storeys and 2 windows, ground and first floor all margin glazed sashes with sidelights, splayed limestone lintels and keystones, attic has 2 similar sashes under eaves; rear of wing has ground floor similar sash, first and 2nd floor 2 similar sashes of varied sizes, all with brick lintels; lower 2-storey rear wing set back has lean-to with 2 C20 windows and door, 2-light casement with timber lintel, raised coped verge and brick stack above, roof to left of verge pantiled, lower ground floor has 3-light casement with timber lintel and first floor 2-light casement with segmental head above, rear gable end has upper ground and first floor C20 glazed doors. Right return has varied windows, ground floor left similar sash with sidelights and overlight, C20 glazed porch and door, 2-light casement with segmental head above, two 2-light casements under eaves, straight joint to right; 3-light casement ground and first floor right, brick lean-to with door and 2-light casement, 3-light casement with timber lintel and relieving arch at lower ground floor, 3-light casement with segmental head at first floor. Interior: not inspected. Clapton Court was originally the home of the Arthur family. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958. Robinson, W.J. : West Country Manors. 1930).

Listing NGR: ST4669273498

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Robinson, W J, West Country Manors, (1930)

National Grid Reference: ST 46692 73498

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129089 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 09:18:52.

End of official listing