This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL

List entry Number: 1129136

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL, WALTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Walton-in-Gordano

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Jan-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33789

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALTON-IN-GORDANO C.P. WALTON STREET (south west side) ST 47 SW 3/126 The Manor House and attached garden wall 13.10.52 (Formerly listed as Manor House) G.V. II House. c.1700, with rear wing and extended to left c.1780, C19 and C20 alterations. Sandstone rubble, limestone dressings, rendered except for front and right return of main range, slate roofs, main range has ridge and gable stacks. Originally 3-room plan, L-plan formed by rear wing. 2 1/2 storeys and 8 windows, all 2-light casements with Gothic leaded octagonal cames and decorative catches (C20 replacements) with large stone lintels, lintel string over ground floor windows, C20 limestone Doric porch with modillion cornice, parapet and blocking course, parapet and cornice, heavy quoins up to first floor level indicating C18 alterations, 3 hipped dormers, each with 2-light casement and similar glazing; attached to left and right with straight joint, a lower 2-storey addition with hipped roof behind parapet and coping, to right has similar large 2-light casement, to left rendered with 3-light C20 casement at ground and first floor; rubble garden wall attached to front left about 3 metres high and 15 metres long, with segmental-headed opening (screening former domestic buildings, now demolished). Attached to left, 2-storey C18 wing with hipped roof, 3 windows, all C20 2-light casements, 3-light at ground floor left, glazed door to right. Left return of wing has 2 sashes at ground floor and sash with pointed arch under eaves; further 2-storey addition to left also has hipped roof behind parapet and coping, 8-pane sash at ground floor and plate-glass sash at first floor. At right return, gable end of main range shows line of roof- raising, oriel at first floor in addition with sash to front and 8-pane sash to each side; further addition built around corner of main range with 2-light casement at upper ground floor and C19 cross window, 2 lean-to's to right with 4-pane light; 2 storey rear wing has sash in exposed box off-centre at first floor and large external stack to right. Rear of main range formerly had single storey addition, raised 1969 for first floor corridor; including addition to right, rear has 7 windows, all sashes, some of C20, ground floor 3rd from left has C20 bay window and two 9-pane sashes to left of bay; set in angle to rear wing a taller 2-storey block with 1/2-glazed door with Gothic glazing bars and sash above. Inner side of rear wing has 4 windows, all sashes in exposed boxes, 2nd from left has C20 French window, cornice, parapet and coping; rear of wing has blind window at first floor. Interior: central room now entrance hall, has fireplace with eared shell and dart surround, recess to each side with cupboard with shaped shelves, one a C20 copy, boxed beams, ceiling height of central room and room to right raised. Central room leads to rear C18 staircase hall, open- well stair with twisted balusters. Roof over main range probably of C18 incorporating earlier timbers, one truss probably re-set with principal rafters and collar, one row of purlins. (Sources: drawing of Sir John Durbin's house in Walton, 1788, by S.H. Grimm, British Museum, shows earlier porch with pediment).

Listing NGR: ST4242273220

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 42422 73220

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129136 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 12:12:31.

End of official listing