TEMPLE, EXEDRA AND LINKING EAST BOUNDARY WALL OF FORMAL GARDEN AT BARROW COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1129170

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: TEMPLE, EXEDRA AND LINKING EAST BOUNDARY WALL OF FORMAL GARDEN AT BARROW COURT, BARROW COURT LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TEMPLE, EXEDRA AND LINKING EAST BOUNDARY WALL OF FORMAL GARDEN AT BARROW COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129170 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 21:20:24.

Location

Statutory Address: TEMPLE, EXEDRA AND LINKING EAST BOUNDARY WALL OF FORMAL GARDEN AT BARROW COURT, BARROW COURT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Barrow Gurney

National Grid Reference: ST 51543 68455

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 NW BARROW GURNEY C.P. BARROW COURT LANE (west side)

3/10 Temple, Exedra and linking east Boundary Wall of formal garden at Barrow Court

G.V. II*

Temple, Exedra and Garden Wall. Circa 1890 by F. Inigo Thomas. Rubble to Garden Wall with dressed stone coping, ashlar to piers and architectural features of both garden structures, stone slates to roof of Temple. The Temple is a tetrastyle Doric loggia with a hipped roof and ridge ball finials which gives on to a square courtyard, walled on the east and west and leading via 3 semi- circular steps down to the formal east axis of the garden. At each side of the steps are curving quadrant balustraded walls and tall Gatepiers, 2.5 metres high with acanthus cornices, ball finials and fruit swagged scrolls on the wall abutments. The Exedra is a semi-circular recess in the Boundary Wall with ball finials to the rear wall and 2 tall piers, 3 metres high, with attached columns with composite capitals, deeply projecting entablatures and vast urn finials with fruit and flower swags. The piers also have large volutes extending from the entablature to the wall. The recess has an aluminium statue of a winged female figure of 1921 by ? A. Klein. These features together with several others comprise a fine formal garden layout by Thomas for Henry Martin Gibbs; it is included in the Historic Gardens Register : Part 1 Avon. (Country Life, 18 January 1902, R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957).

Listing NGR: ST5154368455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33878

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cooke, R, West Country Houses, (1957)
'Country Life' in 18 January, (1902)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,

End of official listing