This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE LONG HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE LONG HOUSE

List entry Number: 1129174

Location

THE LONG HOUSE, BARROW STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Barrow Gurney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33885

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 NW BARROW GURNEY C.P. BARROW STREET (east side)

3/17 The Long House

G.V. II

Detached house. C18, restored and extended in 1905. Squared and coursed rubble with freestone dressings and copings, double Roman tile roofs. C18 cottage parallel to road with right hand wing at right-angles forming L shaped plan. 2 storeys. Windows in C18 range are 2 and 3-light 1905 ovolo mullions with small pane leaded casements ; those to ground floor have hoodmoulds and flush relieving arches. Similar fenestration to 1905 wing of 3 and 6 lights. Central 1905 doorway in C18 range has Tudor arch, oak leaf carving in the spandrels, 2 long single lights on either side and a plank door. Restoration tablet with initials of H. Martin Gibbs of Barrow Court and date set in west wall of C20 wing. This wing has a double height interior which was used as the village hand laundry. The Long House forms an important visual element in the streetscape.

Listing NGR: ST5299367992

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 52993 67992

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129174 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 07:12:50.

End of official listing