This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COOMBE LODGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COOMBE LODGE

List entry Number: 1129179

Location

COOMBE LODGE, THE COOMBE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Blagdon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33902

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 45 NE BLAGDON C.P. THE COOMBE (north side)

9/34 Coombe Lodge 16.7.86 II

Former Country House, now Further Education Staff College. 1930-2 by Sir George Oatley. Ashlar with stone tile roofs. Cotswold Vernacular style. U-shaped main block with left-hand service range. 2 storeys and attics, main block of 5 bays and service wing of 6 bays. Windows are cross-mullions of 2 and 4-lights with small leaded pane casements set in chamfered surrounds. South front of main block has 3 canted bays through 2 floors and gables to the attic with oculi above attic windows. Porch at angle with service range and further 1-storey range projecting at right-angles. Ionic pilasters to porch and family crest above keyed segmental arch. Above this a canted staircase window. North front has 2 projecting 2-bay wings and recessed central section. Similar details as south front but with central loggia and porte cochere with balustraded balcony above. Moulded string courses and tall square ashlar stacks set in lines of 2, 4 and also clustered on the central ridge. Interior. Idiosyncratic and impracticable plan, but fine quality woodwork panelling in Tudor-style to ground floor rooms, corridors and staircase. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST4956059484

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 49560 59484

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129179 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 11:50:18.

End of official listing