This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TWO MONUMENTS TO BROOKMAN AND WATTS FAMILIES IN CHURCHYARD, 2 AND 5 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TWO MONUMENTS TO BROOKMAN AND WATTS FAMILIES IN CHURCHYARD, 2 AND 5 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1129196

Location

TWO MONUMENTS TO BROOKMAN AND WATTS FAMILIES IN CHURCHYARD, 2 AND 5 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Churchill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33941

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 SW CHURCHILL C.P. CHURCH LANE (west side)

4/73 Two Monuments to Brookman and Watts families in churchyard, 2 and 5 metres south of Church of St. John

G.V. II

2 Chest tombs. C18 and C17. Limestone. Brookman monument is C18 (earliest date 1756) with garlanded angle pilasters and central cherub and fruit pilaster. Further cherubs on east end face. 2 inscription panels to each side and one to west end: florid italic script on north panels. Moulded cornice, cyma recta slab. Watts monument is C17 (earliest date 1625). Badly decayed blockish monument with inscription panels to all faces except south. North face has incised capitals with 1762 date, west face has C17 lettering with earliest date. Deeply chamfered slab broken at west end.

Listing NGR: ST4373460226

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 43734 60226

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129196 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 08:04:00.

End of official listing