SIDNEY HILL COTTAGE HOMES AND ATTACHED GATEPIERS, WALLS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129199

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: SIDNEY HILL COTTAGE HOMES AND ATTACHED GATEPIERS, WALLS AND GATES, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of SIDNEY HILL COTTAGE HOMES AND ATTACHED GATEPIERS, WALLS AND GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129199 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:39:10.

Location

Statutory Address: SIDNEY HILL COTTAGE HOMES AND ATTACHED GATEPIERS, WALLS AND GATES, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Churchill

National Grid Reference: ST 44041 59880

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 45 NW CHURCHILL C.P. FRONT STREET (south side)

8/83 Sidney Hill Cottage Homes and attached Gatepiers, Walls and Gates

G.V. II

Wesleyan Almshouses. Dated 1907 (on plaque under central archway). By Silcock and Reay. Brick with some stone copings and plain tile roofs, wrought iron to gates. 12 cottages on U-shaped plan in Arts and Crafts Vernacular style. 1 storey and attics. Windows are 3-light wooden casements with small leaded panes, those to attic under gables. Tudor-arched doorways with plank doors and flat hoods on carved consoles. Tall brick stacks. Open hexagonal wooden cupola over central entrance archway. Hill family crest above entrance arch on north front. Boundary walls of brick with limestone mid course and stone copings 2 metres high. Ornamental stone vases at intervals on piers and 2.5 metres high central gatepiers to north entrance with renewed ball finials. 2-leaf wrought iron gates with decorative overthrow; further single leaf gates at east and west corners and also central 2-leaf gates on south boundary wall with pineapple finials to piers. Erected at the expense of Sidney Hill of Langford House and inspired by the painting 'Harbour of Refuge' of 1872 by Frederick Walker, now in the Tate Gallery. (Builder, January 1907; The Studio, April 1907).

Listing NGR: ST4404159880

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33951

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Studio' in April, (1907)
'The Builder' in January, (1907)

End of official listing