THE REFECTORY THE VICARAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1129203

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: THE REFECTORY, CHURCH DRIVE

Statutory Address: THE VICARAGE, CHURCH DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE REFECTORY
THE VICARAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 04:18:59.

Location

Statutory Address: THE REFECTORY, CHURCH DRIVE

Statutory Address: THE VICARAGE, CHURCH DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Congresbury

National Grid Reference: ST 43600 63797

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 SW CONGRESBURY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE (east side)

4/96 The Vicarage and The Refectory 9.2.61 (formerly listed as The Vicarage)

G.V. I

Vicarage and former Priest's House, now used for parish functions. Early C19 Vicarage to left-hand, c.1446 former Priest's House to right hand. Vicarage of limewashed render with stone plinth and parapet, ashlar to porch and hipped double Roman tile roof. Rectangular block of 2 storeys, 3 bays. All windows are 12- pane sashes. West entrance front with recessed central section and Greek Doric distyle porch in antis with fluted columns and triglyph frieze. 2-leaf small pane glazed doors. Refectory of limewashed render and dressed stone to buttresses and south-east porch gable face. Pantile roofs and coped stone gables. L-shaped plan with right-hand advanced porch of 2 storeys. Windows to main range are of 2-lights with cinquefoil-cusped heads under flat lintels with hoodmoulds and face stops. Cross-mullions to ground floor, single lights above. Offset buttresses between. Porch gable end has a pointed-arched doorway with inner order on shafts and capitals, decorative order of filigree dogtooth ornament and several further moulded orders with hoodmould and angel stops holding heraldic shields. Further angel at arch centre, all with heads missing. Offset diagonal buttresses, cross-mullion window to parvise above porch and a winged angel in square niche holding a scroll. Benches either side inside porch, moulded 4-panel compartmented ceiling and Tudor-arched doorway with plank door. East end stone stack with moulded cap, left-hand Vicarage has 2 brick stacks. Interior. Refectory ground floor room (hall) has a 6-panel compartmented ceiling and stone stairs built on to north external wall up to room above. The space now occupied by the 2 rooms may once have been an open hall. Upper room stair doorway in Tudor-arched and the roof is of 3 bays with 2 cambered arch braced collar trusses and 3 tiers of wind braces (all renewed). Similar structure with renewal over parvise. Coved compartmented ceiling in east end upper room and carved stone fireplace with moulded basket-handle arch and decorative frieze of quatrefoils and mouchettes. The eastern range comprising the Refectory was built by executors of Bishop Beckington of Wells whose heraldic devices and those of the Poulteney family are on the porch. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958; Architect's Journal, 1977).

Listing NGR: ST4360063797

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33964

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
'Architects Journal' in Architects Journal, (1977)

End of official listing