CLOCK TOWER APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES NORTH WEST OF POWDERMILL COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129216

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-2001

Statutory Address: CLOCK TOWER APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES NORTH WEST OF POWDERMILL COTTAGE, LITTLETON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLOCK TOWER APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES NORTH WEST OF POWDERMILL COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 05:45:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CLOCK TOWER APPROXIMATELY 300 METRES NORTH WEST OF POWDERMILL COTTAGE, LITTLETON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Winford

National Grid Reference: ST 55026 64371

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 SE WINFORD LITTLETON LANE

SP/796 Clock Tower at Powdermill Cottage

II

Clock tower, formerly part of mill premises. Probably late C18 or Early C19. Small squared and coursed limestone to thin, slab-like ashlar quoins, roof destroyed. A tower about 2.5m square and 5m high, now incomplete, and the original height not known. To the north, or river front is a square doorway with ashlar jabms and stone lintel; above this an oculus in brick, filled with brick but containing a central ashlar block with opening for a shaft or clock drive. To the left an opening for a small window, but without lintol and with damaged masonry over; at the back a further doorway, with ashlar jambs and remains at responds of a brick cambered arch. The interior of the walling has remains of plastering, and is built in rubble; there are two remnants of bonding timbers or plates which may have carried joists or small beams over the door openings. Although now ruinous and in a not very stable state, this is an important remnant from the large powder mill complex formerly on the site from about 1650 to 1820's. It is thought that the tower was attached either to a small chapel, or to site offices, but it now stands isolated. It has considerable historic interest for the site (Avon County SMR entry 2190 for more complete information on the complex).

Listing NGR: ST5508064304

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33990

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Crocker, G, The Gunpowder Mills Gazetteer, (1988)
'Avon County Sites and Monuments Record' in No 2190, ()
Buchanan, B, 'Transactions of the Newcomen Society' in The Technology of Gunpowder Making in the Eighteenth Century: Evidence from the Bristol Region, (1995-6)
Buchanan, B J, Tucker, M T, 'Industrial Archaeology Review' in The Manufacture of Gunpowder: A Study of the Documentary and Physical Evidence Relating to the Woolley Powder Works near Bath, , Vol. 3, (1981)

End of official listing