This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF CHRIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF CHRIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1129232

Location

CHURCH OF CHRIST CHURCH, REDHILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wrington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Aug-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 34034

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 SE 5/161

WRINGTON REDHILL

Church of Christ Church

II

Anglican Parish Church. 1844, by James Wilson. Squared lias over ashlar plinth and limestone dressings, Welsh slate roof. Wide nave, shallow chancel, west tower, south porch, organ chamber and vestry to north. In a simple early English style with lancets under hoods; nave, south, 1 + 3 windows, diagonal buttresses to corners, square between windows, all to 2 offsets; gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, inner plank doors. Chancel has single light south, stepped triplet east, 2 singles north, diagonal buttresses. Crenellated flat-roofed organ chamber, lancet east and west, plank door in pointed double chamfer surround)north, then 3 nave lancets, but no intermediate buttresses; diagonal buttress to corner. Tower in 2 stages plus crenellation. Blocked doorway to west lancet at first level and paired lancets to bell stage over moulded string, surmounted by crenellations over moulded string. Interior: very simple unaisled space, colour-washed, plain reveals to lancets; 2 arch arcade to organ chamber, double chamfer arches on octagonal columns. Five-bay arch-braced queen post trusses with turned dropped finials, carried on corbels to north side only. Simple chamfer arch to tower; single chamfer arch on slender responds to stiff-leaf capitals. Plain boarded pitched ceiling to chancel. South side of chancel has 1874 memorial window; east windows signed A K Nicholson, London,1931, to Mary Monica Cunliffe Wills. Stone altar table; Jacobean oak altar table in nave and Jacobean parish chest. Tiled floors to chancel and tower, otherwise wood block. Simple late C19 pews. Good brass lectern. Complex font with 8 attached colonnettes. All very basic and clinical (Pevsner, N Somerset and Bristol; 1958)

Listing NGR: ST4966863224

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST4966863224

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 08:24:09.

End of official listing