LOWER COOMBSEND FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129258

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Statutory Address: LOWER COOMBSEND FARMHOUSE, CHAPEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWER COOMBSEND FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 06:10:38.

Location

Statutory Address: LOWER COOMBSEND FARMHOUSE, CHAPEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Sodbury

National Grid Reference: ST 75346 80567

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 78 SE SODBURY CHAPEL LANE 2/42 COOMB'S END 17.9.52 Lower Coombsend Farmhouse

II

Late mediaeval origins, altered in 1654 and recently restored. Rubble. Double Roman tiled roof. Large central ashlar stack (renewed). Two storeys and attics in 2 gables with coped verges and finials. Three windows, 2-, 3- and 4-light casements with hollow chamfered stone mullions under dripmoulds with returns; all under irregular relieving arches. (4-light ground floor windows are modern).

Two storey gabled projecting porch (originally a service and staircase rear wing); 2-light mullioned, casement window under dripmould with returns and moulded doorcase with depressed 4-centred arch carved into lintel (originally a fireplace from the first floor).

Interior: remains of 4 arch-braced collar trusses. Number of chamfered and ovolo moulded beams with run-out or notch stops.

Ground floor east room; a fireplace with chamfered stone jambs. West room has ashlar surround with double ogee moulding and 5-centred flat arch; above are initials and date G.1654.R

See also:

L. Hall Rural Houses of NorthAvon and South Gloucestershire.

R.C.H.M. Unpublished report.

Listing NGR: ST7534680567

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34089

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hall, L, 'City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery Monograph Number 6' in The Rural Houses of North Avon and South Gloucestershire 1400-1720, (1983)

End of official listing