BODKIN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129375

Date first listed: 17-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: BODKIN HOUSE, PETTY FRANCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BODKIN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129375 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 05:00:24.

Location

Statutory Address: BODKIN HOUSE, PETTY FRANCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: South Gloucestershire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hawkesbury

National Grid Reference: ST7873485415

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 5 July 2017.

ST 78 NE 4/169

HAWKESBURY PETTY FRANCE (east side) Bodkin House

(formerly listed as Sir Derek Gunston's Cottages formerly Old Beaufort Arms Inn)

17.9.52

GV House, now a house and restaurant. Early C18, possibly a remodelling of a C17 house, altered early-mid C19. Rendered,on ashlar plinth; reproduction stone slate roof; ashlar stacks with cornice. Two storeys, cellars and attics in three gabled dormers. Five windows and door on ground floor, including one in lower wing to right; eight windows on first floor. Eighteen-pane, thick glazing bar sash windows in exposed boxes; Two early-mid C19 bay windows on ground floor; ashlar plinth and blocking course. Projecting Tuscan column porch with plain entablature, cornice and blocking course; panelled door. Extensive rear wings.

Interior; stop chamfered beam and large ashlar fireplace in rear wing; shell headed cupboard in ground floor left room. Jane Austen reputedly visited the inn, then the Old Beaufort Arms Inn in around 1794. She mentioned the house in ‘Northanger Abbey’. Listing NGR: ST7873485415

This listing was enhanced in 2017 to mark the bicentenary of Jane Austen's death.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 34383

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing