This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SCHOOL HOUSE ADJOINING PARISH ROOM AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT WITH GATEPIERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCHOOL HOUSE ADJOINING PARISH ROOM AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT WITH GATEPIERS

List entry Number: 1129470

Location

SCHOOL HOUSE ADJOINING PARISH ROOM AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT WITH GATEPIERS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bath and North East Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Newton St. Loe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1956

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Sep-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 32564

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 76 SW NEWTON ST. LOE

8/154 School House adjoining Parish Room and Garden Wall to Front 1.2.56 with Gatepiers (formerly listed G.V. as Free School) II

Free school, now a house and parish room. Dated 1698, restored and extended (parish room) 1911. Coursed rubble with freestone quoins and dressings, plain and fish-scale tiled roof with coped raised verges. 2 storeys and attics. Five 2-light casement windows in ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds and under continuous dripmoulds. Central studded and panelled door with strap hinges, in bolection moulded surround and under a semi-circular hood on carved consoles. Over the door are arms and an inscription which reads: "This Free Schoole was built and/Endowed att the charge of RICHARD/JONES of Stowey in the County of/Somerset-Esq. Anno Dmni 1698". Underneath it reads "RESTORED CORONATION YEAR. 1911". At the left is the Parish Room. 2- and 4-light cross window in ovolo moulded surrounds. Projecting gabled porch with outer moulded and 4-centre headed archway. Coped, rubble front garden wall with 2 sets of square ashlar gatepiers with moulded caps and ball finials.

Listing NGR: ST7016064851

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 70160 64851

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129470 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:11:27.

End of official listing