CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129575

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129575 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 13:06:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS AND MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stowey-Sutton

National Grid Reference: ST 59918 59438

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 55 NE STOWEY-SUTTON STOWEY 5/89 Church of St. Nicholas and Mary 21.9.60 II

Anglican parish church. C15 and C19 alterations. Squared and coursed sandstone to tower and chancel, squared and coursed red sandstone and lias in alternate bands to nave. Ashlar to tower parapet, freestone openings and copings, slate roof to nave, plain tile roof to chancel. Nave, chancel, west tower, north porch. Nave south wall has 2 recut cusped light Perpendicular windows under flat hoodmoulds with lozenge stops, 1 blocked Tudor arched window and one single light triangular headed C19 window. 2 similar Perpendicular windows to north wall. Chancel on both north and south walls has a recut 2-light perpendicular window. Chancel north wall has in addition a Tudor arched doorway with C19 plank door and above, a mediaeval statue of God the Father set in shallow niche. C19 three- light Perpendicular style east window. Junction between nave and chancel on the north side has a quoin carved with shears: symbol of the Wool Staplers' Guild. Tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, polygonal north east corner embattled stair turret and pierced lozenge parapet with corner crocketted pinnacles. West facade has a tall 3-light Perpendicular window to 1st stage. Moulded stringcourses, 2 cusped light bell openings with dense quatrefoil piercing and hoodmoulds, moulded cornice below parapet with fine gargoyles, one to each, face including a ram's head. Gabled north porch with Tudor arched doorway, plain C19 north doorway and plank door. Interior. Nave has double chamfered tower arch and C19 wagon roof on mediaeval wall plate. C19 double chamfered chancel arch with C19 open rafter roof with transverse tie beams. Fittings. Nave at tower arch has an octagonal Perpendicular font with quatrefoil panels. Charles II coat of arms dated 1660 over north door. 3 fine wall monuments on south wall to the Jones and Sandford families: earliest to William Jones (died 1748) by Thomas Paty. C19 Perpendicular style pulpit. Over the chancel arch and on chancel walls are fine 1915 canvas murals depicting the Day of Judgement and scenes from Christ's life by Henry Strachey. 1846 floral stained glass in east window. (Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5991859438

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 32829

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

End of official listing