CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHEW STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129613.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 12:31:14.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHEW STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
- Chew Magna
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 57709 63236
ST 56 SE CHEW MAGNA C.P. CHEW STREET (north side)
3/24 Church of St. Andrew
Parish church. C12 origin, C14, money left in 1443 for north aisle and in 1541 for tower, C17 alterations, vestry built 1824 by Reverend John Hall, C19 restoration and alterations. Tower in sandstone and limestone ashlar, south aisle and chapel in roughly squared rubble with stone dressings and ashlar parapets, south porch in squared rubble with limestone ashlar south wall and parapet, chancel and north aisle, porch and chapel in coursed sandstone rubble with limestone dressings; lead roofs with cross finial to chancel. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, south and north chapel, north east vestry and chancel. Some Norman work around south doorway, Early English south arcade and north east respond of south chapel, otherwise Perpendicular style of different periods. 4-stage tower has west door with pointed arch, hood mould and block stops, surround of 2 hollow-moulded orders and central order with slender shafts to sides, large 5-light west window; 2nd and 3rd stages have 2-light window to all sides, lattice-glazed at 2nd stage, with pierced stone tracery at 3rd stage except for east plain glazing; 4th stage has 2-light window with bell-louvres each side; stair turret to north east with string courses, lancets and pierced stone tracery parapet; tower has plinth, string courses, weathered setback buttresses, cornice with fine gargoyles, pierced stone tracery parapet with crocketed pinnacles at corners, clock at 3rd stage south. 3-bay south aisle has two 4-light windows to south and one to west with trefoil-headed lights and hood mould, plain parapet and coping broken forward over buttresses; central bay has 2-storey south porch with pointed arched door and surround of 3 hollow-moulded orders, slender jamb shafts, hood mould with C19 mask stops, 2-light window above with cusped trefoil heads, cornice, parapet and coping, image niche to south with C19 image, weathered diagonal buttresses, 3-sided stair turret in angle with aisle to west, gargoyle at cornice east and west, blocked first floor east window, scratch dial without gnomon to south. South chapel has 4-light east window with pointed arch, hood mould with mask stops, to left a bolection-moulded architrave with scallop-shell keystone and floating cornice, memorial tablet inscription worn away; 4-light south window with Tudor arch, hood mould and mask stops, 4-light mullioned window with round-headed lights of C17 (formerly lighting chapel gallery); weathered diagonal buttress, plinth, cornice with shield to south and rosette to east, pierced stone tracery parapet with pinnacles. 4-bay north aisle has three 4-light windows with pointed segmental heads and hood mould, similar 3-light west window, plinth, weathered diagonal buttresses, cornice with fine gargoyles including anthropophagus to west, embattled parapet; 2nd bay from west has 2-storey north porch has depressed 4-centred arched doorway with 2 jamb shafts to each side, hood mould with block stops, 2-light window above with hood mould with angel stops, 3-sided stair turret to east with embattled parapet, weathered diagonal buttresses, cornice carried round stair turret, pierced stone tracery parapet crocketed pinnacles with carved figure at base of central pinnacle and small gargoyles. North chapel has 2-light C19 west window with hood mould, pointed arched C19 north door, moulded plinth, cornice and embattled parapet. Chancel has 2-light south window with pointed segmental head, cornice with bead moulding under eaves along part of south wall only, clasping buttress to south east; 3-light C19 east window with angel stops to hood mould, ogee-headed lights; raised coped verges and kneelers. Interior: tower has pointed arched door to stair turret, C19 framed ceiling in 9 panels with moulded ribs and carved bosses, high pointed arch to nave with simple broad 2-wave moulding. Nave has 10-bay C19 roof of arched-brace and collar, corbels to braces, wall-plate, bosses probably earlier and reset at centre of arched-braces. South arcade of 4 bays, hexagonal piers with pointed arches, mask corbels to east; 4-bay north arcade has hexagonal east pier, others have 4 shafts at corners with wave-mould between, pointed arches; wide pointed arch to chancel. South aisle has piscina in south wall, 5-bay roof of very shallow pitch with brattished wall-plates, moulded tie-beams, principal rafters, short king- posts with carved wooden tracery between ties and rafters, C19 reconstruction; pointed arch to south chapel. South porch has stone benches, pointed segmental headed door to stair turret and upper door to former chamber, 2-bay roof of shallow pitch, arched-braces rising from stone mask corbels, trefoil-headed image niche above fine door with elaborate strap hinges, segmental head, plain jambs and imposts at string course level, upper segmental head, inner draw-bar. South chapel has 2-bay roof as in south aisle and bosses on wall-plate. North aisle (narrower than south) 4-bay roof pitched against nave has round-arched-braces rising from C19 stone mask corbels, principal rafters, one moulded purlin, coved wall plate, pointed arch to north chapel with north pier as in north arcade. North porch interior not accessible, similar door to south. North chapel has 4-bay shallow pitched roof, principal rafters, one purlin and ridge purlin, braces at corners rising from angel corbels; ogee-arched piscina in south wall, pointed 4-light unglazed east window (former external wall) to vestry (entered from chancel); pointed arched opening from north chapel to chancel and from vestry to chancel. Chancel has piscina in south wall, wagon roof, previously ceiled, moulded ridge purlin with large painted bosses, wall-plate over orders to north and south chapels with angel corbels, mask corbels to east. Fittings: circular Norman font in south aisle, fluted concave bowl, convex base; rood screen across aisles and nave; fine Royal Arms over chancel arch with C17 style balusters to sides; fine C19 carved wooden pulpit; lectern probably made from mediaeval bench-ends; staff of constable c.1845 in showcase in north aisle; brass candelabra in nave. Fine effigies in north chapel on carved tomb-chest to Sir John and Lady St. Loe c.1450; wooden painted effigy in south aisle recess, allegedly to Sir John de Hauteville, probably of late C16. Fine monument in south chapel to Edward Baber, 1578 and his wife 1601, with effigies on tomb-chest, shallow coffered arch over with 2 cherubs named Labor and Quies. In chancel, marble tablet to Richard Jones, 1692; large marble tablet to Jones family, early C17; unidentified Baroque stone monument with Corinthian columns; brass plate on floor to Mary Clarke 1705 and Elizabeth Cory, 1690. In vestry, large marble tablet with urn, 1761, inscription illegible. In south aisle, marble tablet with urn and cherub, to Sarah Abraham, 1801; marble tablet with weeping putti, to Samuel Collins, 1712/13; marble tablet with broken column, to Richard Tyson, 1820; early C19 marble tablet to Elizabeth Henrietta. In north chapel, marble monument with pediment, to Hodges Strachey, 1716; marble monument to Henry Strachey, 1810, by J. Bacon Jnr. of London; early C19 stone Perpendicular tablet to William Bush, 1827; marble tablet to Anne Mullins, 1848, by Tyley of Bristol; baroque stone tablet to Sarah Lyde, 1662; marble tablet to Edward Plumley, 1842. Fragments of mediaeval glass in south window of south chapel. Was formerly a bridge between the Old School Room (q.v.) and the south chapel to an upper gallery; gallery removed when Baber monument erected, bridge said to have been demolished later. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958).
Listing NGR: ST5771263235
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing