PAGANSHILL FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1129628
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1960
Statutory Address:
PAGANSHILL FARMHOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129628.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2020 at 05:34:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
PAGANSHILL FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chew Stoke
National Grid Reference:
ST 55920 62426

Details

ST 56 SE CHEW STOKE C.P. 3/61 Paganshill Farmhouse 21.9.60 II

Farmhouse. C17 origin, rear wing remaining, front block c.1820, with later alterations and additions. Rubble, rendered, brick, concrete tiled hipped roof to front block with stacks to sides, double Roman tiled rear roofs. U-plan formed by rear wing and rear former attached cow-house, now living accommodation. 2-storeys and 3 windows, all 16-pane sashes with keystone and stepped voussoirs, central Doric porch with panelled frieze and cornice, glazed C20 door; plinth and string course at cills of first floor windows, bracketted eaves; curtain wall of single storey height to left with pointed arched door, single storey addition to right of later C19 with smaller 16-pane sash, parapet wall and coping. Right return has single storey lean-to along ground floor with pointed arched Y-tracery panelled door, gable end of earlier farmhouse to right with brick gable stack; rear of side wing has C20 3-light window with glazing bars. Left return has single storey and 3 window attached house, formerly cow-house, remodelled C20. Rear of earlier farmhouse has 3-light C17 casement with timber lintel, iron stanchions and wooden shutters, timber lintel remaining to left, 4-pane sash above with timber lintel; inner side has ground floor paired sash with horns and first floor small 16-pane sash in gable; rear of main house built up over former yard, has door and small 16-pane sash, first floor of brick with 3 windows, 6 panes each light; attached to right, former dairy, 2 storeys with hipped roof, has 8-pane light to inner side at ground floor and 4-pane light with segmental head to rear, C20 porch in angle with former cow-house. Interior: rear wing has moulded doorframe, fireplace with cambered lintel and stone jambs, carved wooden panelling dated 1646 and 1657, possibly removed from Church of St. Andrew (q.v.) at time of C19 restoration.

Listing NGR: ST5592062426

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
32957
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07556/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Iain Sim. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].