STANTON WICK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1129652
Date first listed:
04-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
STANTON WICK FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STANTON WICK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 00:30:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
STANTON WICK FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stanton Drew
National Grid Reference:
ST 61246 61502

Details

ST 66 SW STANTON DREW C.P. STANTON WICK

4/118 Stanton Wick Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Dated 1666, with later additions to rear, early C18 and C19 internal alterations and C20 alterations. Roughly coursed limestone rubble with stone dressings, some sandstone rubble, partly rendered, double Roman tiled roofs with raised coped verges and brick gable stacks. L-plan with attached rear additions. 2½ storeys and 1:2:1 windows, centre 2 bays broken forward as combined porch and stair turret with gable; ground and first floor left and right have C20 metal casements, centre bays have to left 3-centred arched door opening, ovolo-moulded, fine inner door, studded with moulded fillets, moulded and stopped frame and lintel; to right, 2-light casement with stone ovolo mullion, 2 similar casements at first floor, datestone with pediment and sundial above, smaller similar casement with hood mould in gable, continuous string courses raised over lintels of ground and first floor windows; formerly wider windows to outer bays. Left return has 2-light casement with ovolo mullion and hood mould at attic; straight joint to lower 2-storey rear wing, with ground floor 4-light ovolo-moulded casement with hood mould and 2 metal casements at first floor; straight joint to single storey rear wing of C19 with 2 metal casements. Right return has similar casement and blocked single light at attic; rear wing has lean-to with glazed door, blocked window at first floor, attached single storey outbuilding with single ovolo- moulded light and hood mould. Rear has ground floor 2-light ovolo-moulded casement with hood mould, 2 metal casements and blocked window at first floor (Possibly former cross windows). Interior: central entrance hall has one moulded beam, one chamfered and stopped, C19 open-well stair, front left room completely panelled, early C18, with heavy plaster cornice and dado rail, front right room only inner wall panelled. At first floor landing, cupboard door with cock's head hinges, segmental-headed door to first floor, room to left has bolection-moulded stone fireplace and similar moulding to door frame to rear wing, chamfered and stopped beams, rear wing has panelling on east wall only; similar door to attic stair. (Sources: Pevsner, N. : Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol. 1958. Williams, E.H.D. : unpublished survey, 1981. RCHM).

Listing NGR: ST6124661502

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33015
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13567/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Neil Bentham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].