This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Boundary Wall, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings 18m south of Clevedon Pumping Station

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Boundary Wall, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings 18m south of Clevedon Pumping Station

List entry Number: 1129715

Location

Tickenham Road, Clevedon, North Somerset

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Clevedon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Jun-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Mar-2015

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33168

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Boundary wall, gatepiers, gates and railings. Built in 1901 and designed by Henry Dare Bryan for the Clevedon Waterworks Company.

Reasons for Designation

The boundary wall, gatepiers, gates and railings 18m south of Clevedon pumping station built in 1901 and designed by the architect Henry Dare Bryan are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural interest: designed by the distinguished Bristol architect, Henry Dare Bryan they are well-executed; * Group value: they form part of a complete ensemble of related buildings and structures at Clevedon pumping station which are all listed at Grade II.

History

Sir Arthur Hallam Elton (1818-83), 7th Baronet of Clevedon Court, was responsible for much of the civic work in Clevedon, and was a leading figure in the establishment of the Clevedon Waterworks Company in 1863. As a consequence, Clevedon’s first water and sewage works were completed in 1867 with a pumping station on Old Street and reservoirs to the north on Dial Hill. In the late C19, due to the growing popularity of Clevedon as both a resort and a place to live, the waterworks could no longer meet demand, and in 1901 a new pumping station was created on Tickenham Road, approximately 2km to the north-east. The old pumping station became the fire station.

The engineer, James Mansergh (1834-1905) was initially employed to design the pumping station, located approximately 500 metres to the east of Clevedon Court. Mansergh was a civil engineer who started his career in railway works but then designed a number of sewerage and fresh water schemes. However, Sir Edmund Elton, 8th Baronet of the neighbouring Clevedon Court was not happy with the proposals and the Bristol architect, Henry Dare Bryan (1868-1909) was brought in by the Clevedon Waterworks Company to enhance the design of the buildings which comprised the pumping station, coal shed and store, foreman’s lodge and associated boundary wall and gatepiers.

The Clevedon Waterworks Company was taken over by the Bristol Waterworks Company, now known as Bristol Water, in 1953. The site remains operational.

Details

Boundary wall, gatepiers, gates and railings. Built in 1901 and designed by Henry Dare Bryan for the Clevedon Waterworks Company.

MATERIALS: coursed and squared Pennant rubble stone with wrought-iron railings and gates.

DETAILS: measuring approximately 75 metres and located along the southern boundary of the site is a dwarf rubble stone wall which has slightly battered piers and gatepiers at intervals, some with moulded capitals. The wall is surmounted by wrought-iron railings with flared 'Voyseyesque'' heads. The wrought-iron entrance gates to the pumping station and the former foreman’s lodge have a geometric design.

Selected Sources

Other
Bristol Waterworks Company, 'Clevedon pumping station and treatment works'

National Grid Reference: ST4296771642

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129715 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 03:20:36.

End of official listing