PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1129734
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1953
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, LOWER CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129734.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 07:38:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN THE BAPTIST, LOWER CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Weston-Super-Mare
National Grid Reference:
ST 31788 61946

Details

LOWER CHURCH ROAD 1. 5121 (east side) Parish Church of ST 3161 NE 9/32 9.3.53 Saint John the Baptist II GV 2. Rebuilt 1824 but altered and extended. Perpendicular style. Consists of chancel (1837), aisled nave (north aisle 1844, south aisle 1889), west tower heightened 1840 (remains of former belfry and clock can be seen). Limestone rubble with freestone dressings; chancel in ashlar. Slate roofs. Four stage tower with pinnacles. Single storey porch on south side. S. aisle with pinnacles and pierced parapet. N. aisle battle- mented. Interior: wide 3 bay nave. Panelled soffit and arcade to S. aisle. Three sided gallery on cast iron columns with carved Gothic-style panels.

Listing NGR: ST3178861946

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33215
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00042/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Mair. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].