PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1129773

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1961

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129773 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 10:12:25.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wick St. Lawrence

National Grid Reference: ST 36636 65440

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WICK ST. LAWRENCE C.P. ST 36 NE

2/3 Parish Church of St. Lawrence 9.2.61

G.V. II*

Parish Church. C15; largely rebuilt and heavily restored in 1864-65 by Foster and Wood of Bristol. Coursed, squared rubble, freestone dressings, plain tile nave roof, slate roof to chancel and vestry. West tower, 3 bay nave, south porch, 2 bay chancel, north vestry. Tower: 3 stage with south west polygonal stair turret; first stage has diagonal buttresses and moulded west door with fleurons and head stops and restored west window; plain second stage with single light windows; plain 2-light windows to third stage; plain parapet with tiny pinnacles. Nave, bays divided by buttresses with set backs; 3-light windows under dripmoulds with figurative carved stops; to north, polygonal, 2 stage rood stair turret with gargoyles and plain cap. South porch is 2 storeys gabled with moulded doorway and 2-light window over; similar inner door with empty figure niche over stoup. Chancel is lower than nave and has diagonal buttresses blocked south priests door and 3-light perpendicular east window. North vestry of 1865 has freestone quoins and window dressings, 3-light cusped windows under square hoodmoulds and a prominent stack. Interior has moulded perpendicular tower arch, restored chancel arch and embattled wall plate to chancel roof. Everything rebuilt or scraped. C15 freestone pulpit of the highest quality; decorated panels adorn pulpit and pedestal and are surmounted by various ornate friezes. Rood stair doors survive, lower has moulded surround. Tub font, probably Norman. Tablets: Sheppard 1716, Sheppard 1725. Sources: The Story of Wick St. Lawrence. S. Redman.Pevsner: Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol.

Listing NGR: ST3663665440

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33326

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Redman, S, The Story of Wich St Lawrence

End of official listing