Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129793

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1984

Statutory Address: TOWERHEAD HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of TOWERHEAD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 23:40:16.


Statutory Address: TOWERHEAD HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Banwell

National Grid Reference: ST 41246 59456


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



5/34 Towerhead House


House. Circa 1820, contain reset C16/C17 features. Stucco, slate roof. 2 storeys and basement, 3 windows; central doorway of about 1860. 2 panel door, margin glazed overlight under hood with pediment on scrolled brackets, glazing bar sash above, all other openings blank; pilaster strips; hipped roof on overhanging eaves; large central stack with mculded cap. North elevation; 3 storeys, 2 windows, glazing bar sashes, single storey gabled extension to left, at first floor a square panel with moulded and painted coat of arms and motto; Win God/Win All; basement door, 6 panel (top 2 glazed) under 3 light overlight (original front door reset?). Interior; curious basement, possibly 1820 resetting of features from earlier house has 4 doors with stopped ovolo moulded timber door frames, set above but not on them are moulded tudor arch stone lintels all of differing design, some with decorated spandrels; two 2 light chamfered mullion timber window frames are set between 2 basement rooms. In basement extension is a brass and lead waterpump of c.1820 in working order. This house is on or near the site of a house built by Bishop Godwin of Bath and Wells in the late C16.

Listing NGR: ST4124659456


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33372

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing