COMBE HOUSE COMBE LODGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129813

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1994

Statutory Address: COMBE HOUSE, 62, CHURCH LANE

Statutory Address: COMBE LODGE, 60, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COMBE HOUSE
COMBE LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129813 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 18:41:29.

Location

Statutory Address: COMBE HOUSE, 62, CHURCH LANE

Statutory Address: COMBE LODGE, 60, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Backwell

National Grid Reference: ST 49266 68306

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 46 NE BACKWELL CHURCH LANE (north-west side) No.62 (Combe House) (Formerly listed as: 6/26 Nos. 60 and 62 Combe Lodge (60) and Combe House(62) (Formerly listed as: CHURCH LANE (North West side) No. 62 Combe House)

16/3/84

GV II

Former vicarage, subdivided as two houses from 1912. c1830 remodelling of an earlier building; rear extension of 1912-14 by Sir George Oatley is part of No 60. Rendered over local stone rubble with roughcast walls to early C20 extension, which is attached to C19 service ranges with pantile roofs; hipped Welsh slate roof with twin bracketted eaves to left of front; parapetted and hipped late C20 slate roof to right; rendered stacks. PLAN: early C19 house of T-plan with left-hand wing, part of the rear and all of the rear ranges being part of No 60. 2 storeys. Garden front (to No 62) of 2:3 fenestration, with 6/6-pane sashes (larger with blind boxes to left) and half-glazed door with margin panes in classical doorcase to centre of symmetrical right-hand range. Similar sashes and late C19/early C20 canted bay to left-hand return, and reset early C19 fanlight to right-hand return. Rear elevations include C19 two-light casements, entrance to No 60 to rear, and rear oriel (lighting stair) by Oatley with wood mullions and transoms. INTERIOR: No 62 includes original joinery, cornicing and fireplaces; stair by Oatley. No 60 includes panelled doors and shutters in moulded architraves, simple quarter-turn pine staircase with stick balusters (by Oatley) and ground-floor room with Regency-style cornice by Oatley embellished with starfish. A fine early C19 house, prominently sited next to the church and also distinguished by its early C20 remodelling by a prominent local architect.

Listing NGR: ST4926168307

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33422

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing