This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1129835

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, FLAX BOURTON

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Somerset

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Flax Bourton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 33474

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 NW FLAX BOURTON FLAX BOURTON (north side)

7/79 Church of St. Michael and All Angels 11.10.61 G.V. II*

Parish Church (Anglican). C12, altered C13 and late C14 to C15; restored mid C19 by John Norton. West tower, nave, north aisle, south porch and chancel. Coursed rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet and gargoyles; 2-light bell chamber opening with trefoil head, 3-light west window and west door in moulded surround; projecting polygonal stairtower to north-east; clock on south face dated 1897. Nave: two 3-light Perpendicular style window with cinquefoil heads and square hoodmoulds. Gabled projecting south porch with double chamfered doorcase. Chancel: 2-light windows with cusped heads and square hoodmoulds, the east window is 3-lights under a 4-centred arch and the hoodmould has carved head stops. North aisle (rebuilt by Norton): four 2-light windows with cusped heads and square hoodmoulds. South doorway is C12: spiral fluted columns with a scalloped capital to the west and a capital with coarsely cut upright volutes to the east; round arch with zigzag decoration, the outer order is chamfered with an ornamental scroll moulding; above the doorway is a coarsely cut relief of St. Michael and the Dragon. Interior. Nave: 3 bay C19 north arcade of clustered columns with round caps. C12 chancel arch of two orders; scalloped capitals to the north, leaves, volutes and animal's heads to the south; zigzag moulding with animal heads on the abaci. Perpendicular style tower arch. Font: C12, scalloped square bowl on cylindrical base. Pulpit: C19, oak in a plain Perpendicular style. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5065569376

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 50655 69376

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129835 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 05:54:11.

End of official listing