DISUSED FARMHOUSE IN LANOW FARMYARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1129865

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: DISUSED FARMHOUSE IN LANOW FARMYARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of DISUSED FARMHOUSE IN LANOW FARMYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1129865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 12:26:38.

Location

Statutory Address: DISUSED FARMHOUSE IN LANOW FARMYARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Kew

National Grid Reference: SX0249777579

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 08 SW ST KEW 2/244 Disused farmhouse in Lanow - Farmyard GV II House now disused. Circa late C16 or early C17. Stone rubble and cob, built on bed rock. Scantle slate roof with gable ends and shafts of chimney stacks removed. Two room and through passage plan. There is no visible evidence of a fireplace in the lower left hand room suggesting that either the fireplace has been blocked or removed, or probably less likely that the room was unheated. The hall on the right was heated by a projecting front lateral stack and the chamber above the hall was heated by a gable end stack. Remains of stone newel stair in rear projection adjoining higher side of rear entrance. Two storeys, regular four window front with several straight joints indicating partial rebuilding. Some cob infil has been exposed above the ground floor on the left where the outer skin of masonry has deteriorated. The left hand gable end has been partly rebuilt. The right hand side is set slightly forward incorporating the projection of the stone rubble front lateral hall stack whose shaft has been removed. The entrance is to right of centre with a granite four-centred arch with chamfer and pyramid stops. Ground floor window openings with fenestration removed and door inserted in window opening to left. First floor with four window openings, two with shutters. Rear elevation has stair projection with adjoining external flight of stone rubble steps. Lean-to outshut to rear of right hand room. Interior: Internal partitions removed and floor jolsts and ceiling above left hand room replaced in circa early C20. Right hand room with chamfered ceiling beams with hollow stepped stops. Large hall fireplace with chamfered granite lintel and pyramid stops. Remains of stone newel stair in hall adjoining higher side of rear entrance. First floor fireplace in right hand gable end with unmoulded timber lintel supported on possibly renewed, unmoulded timber corbelled brackets. Masonry above lintel set forward. Remains of stone newel stairs in rear stair turret. Circa mid C17 roof structure of 9 bays comprising principals with slightly curved feet and morticed apices; cambered collars halved, lap-jointed and pegged onto face of principals and trenched purlins. The manor of Lanow was formerly held by the Beavilles and then Grenvills. Sold by Sir Bevill Grenvil to William Noye, Attorney-General to Charles I. Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, 1879 Polsve, J Lake's Parochial History of the Count of Cornwall, 1867-73 rp 1974

Listing NGR: SX0249777579

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351504

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

End of official listing